Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Throwin' Elbows

So I started at a new barn yesterday because the other one couldn't accommodate my schedule, which is kind of a sad reason to leave. I didn't even know them well enough to say goodbye, nor do they have strong enough communication skills (answering emails or listening to voice mails) to notice I'm gone.

I was very nervous about last night's lesson. All told it took me 2 hours to get from my desk at work to the horse. I'm going to try another route next time, but that's pretty much what we're looking at for travel, folks. Getting home at 8pm took under 45 minutes, of course.

In any case, my eval ride was kind of an eye opener. This was a push button horse with a lot of go. I don't think I've ever been on one of those? (Except for my friend's flying couch of a Percheron, but she's a little all over the place). So when the instructor told me to keep my elbows at my sides to control speed, I was like, "Wow! This is how you slow down the trot to sit it?!" Because of this, I wasn't slumped over, either. I was amazed that I could keep my elbows at my sides and ask for a walk with a gently squeeze from a standstill, get a canter right off the bat, and transition more smoothly down to a walk. I think the most important thing was, that because I wasn't giving my arms forward to the horse, I kept control, I was less scared and I became more relaxed as well. I guess these are the "Aha!" moments people look for.

To throw up something for debate, however, I was feeling weird about switching to a new barn because I haven't had a consistent instructor since my first, 2 years ago. But this new instructor found major flaws in my equitation that no one had pointed out before. So, I guess there is something to be said about trying new instructors.

In any case, my boss gave the go ahead to leave a few minutes early on Tuesday, so it looks like I've found my regular thing! My only regret is still being unable to do group lessons because of scheduling. My instructor recommended it so that I could see others ride and play games to get comfortable around other horses, but ultimately we decided on the half-hour private lesson. There were some older ladies in the ring (Note I said 'older' NOT old!) who after were giving me words of encouragement, so I will get to see them show their stuff and learn to move around their courses, and generally bond with them! I mention that they are older only because they seem to be more consistent in their attendance...and I could use some consistency in my riding situation these days!

3 comments:

  1. this all sounds quite wonderful! switching can be hard if you've bonded with certain mounts, BUT if the stable is run so poorly that they can't communicate with you, then i'd wonder what else they're not doing effectively. that said, been there. i left my first stable and i am at the current stable i ride at and i LOVE IT. i'm one of those "older students" who is learning to ride as an adult so i just putter along and it's most intimidating to putter along with the youn'uns. eep! private lessons are fabulous because it really focuses on you and you'll see how fast you come along. being critiqued is great! that's what you're paying them for.

    wow i went on a bit long for a comment but all sounds positive and great! looking forward to hearing more adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I always appreciate your comments so so much! I am often mistaken for a younger rider (people sometimes think I'm their age and they are 10+ years younger than me!). My new instructor is younger than me, but has the confidence to tell me what to do. The more I think about that lesson the more I feel like it was a real breakthrough!

      Delete