Wednesday, June 24, 2015

More squeeze, please

In yesterday's lesson I got what I would have previously considered a "lazy" horse to trot on command whenever I asked. I think I've just learned to build up my requests, from squeeze, to squeeze more, to kick, etc. as well as probably gotten stronger at squeezing! We worked on avoiding dropping a shoulder at the corners, which I guess I must have totally been doing this whole time. It wasn't so hard, just an extra squeeze of the inside leg. We also worked on circles, and I was surprised at how much I had to pull on a rein to get the correct circle. A lot of my lack of confidence comes out in "not wanting to hurt the animal" either by pulling or kicking a lot. I think this is a good idea in general, but I am realizing there's pulling and kicking without being clear and then there's pulling and kicking because you WERE being clear, and they're just not listening. In any case, I always apply more force AFTER my instructor tells me to do something. Because, heck, I don't know how it feels to a horse, but I assume my instructor has the best intentions...

3 comments:

  1. consider your relative size compared to the horse... you won't hurt them by kicking them with your heel (provided your'e not wearing spurs or anything of that nature). i'm always reminded, ask, ask louder and then yell. so your concept of escalating "loudness" is right on! don't let them get away with thinking they can do what they want. and your instructor would know what's "acceptable" in terms of being 'loud'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, for some reason this has been the toughest lesson for me to learn, but I'm beginning to realize if I'm in control, we'll both be better off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! i think it's part of being female and being told to be "nice and gentle and quiet and accommodating". but i have found that it has helped me take control more, at work and even other aspects while being respectful of others.

      Delete