Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Canter fears controlled!

 OK, so I wasn't ALWAYS afraid of the canter, because I learned on some slow, trusty steeds, where the canter was like floating on a happy cloud, but after my fall and riding a horse with more go than woah now, I was having trouble staying in control and I'd be holding my breath through the whole thing. Last night's lesson I learned how to slow down, but keep the canter going. Get the horse (Colonel) to canter and then keep the leg on while bringing the head up by tightening the reins. I'm SO bad about tightening the reins. I only did one show in my life and it was a walk-trot class and the judge's criticism was that I looked like I was neck-reigning on a trail ride. Anyways, I was seeing the value in pulling in those reins as I got a nice, controlled canter.

I hosed Colonel down after my lesson because he was super sweaty. It was very muggy out with negative effects: An owner was walking her colicky horse around the riding ring. After Colonel had done lessons all day, I admit I lingered a little by his stall to see if he would drink water. Of course he just munched on hay and looked at my curiously like, "Aren't I done with you for the day?"

My instructor also promised that next week I will be able to do a little trail riding after my lesson, which is pretty exciting. I've actually never done a trail ride except for the touristy kind. At my previous places there was either nowhere to trail ride on site or they were just too busy to make such suggestions. All in all, I'm so happy I'm at this barn now.

Colonel wondering why I'm still staring at him.

1 comment:

  1. great on you! i have found that letting go and relaxing to be the most helpful but LEAST instinctive thing to do. lololol. i wish you continued success on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete