Monday, November 4, 2019

Powerful transitions

I continuously make the mistake of coming to the first jump without sufficient power and collection to get over it cleanly. I can hardly blame the bored lesson horse for this. We have no rhythm and no clue what the distance is, so it's very unorganized.

So we started by working on transitions to make him more responsive to my leg. We did a forward walk, adding more energy until we trotted, then went back to a walk and did it again. Then we did a forward trot with more and more energy until he broke into a canter, and did it all over again so that I could ask for a trot or canter quite easily.

From there, we went with a forward trot towards a jump, but then halted in front of it, and then asked for the jump (and grabbed mane!). This used the energy on the hind end to launch us forward.

We also worked on 2 jumps with a broken line. I was really bad at that. I'm really bad at fighting the horse to shove over when they know where I want to go and just want to cut corners. Part of it is where I'm looking and part of it is inside leg.

We finished with working on adding and subtracting strides on a straightaway. I need to plan ahead, so that when I go down from 4 strides to 3, I'm not jumping from a long distance.

There's progress in there somewhere, I just don't necessarily feel it, with all the basic things I still need to work on. OH, actually, the progress was me not falling off during an excited buck-turn after a jump. Tiny win.

No comments:

Post a Comment