Monday, October 21, 2019

Fall no. 5

I think this is fall number 5 for me. I could kind of see the train wreck before it happened, and yet somehow, the fall still caught me by surprise.

I was working on jumper turns over very low jumps. Our new indoor is smaller, so all the turns felt somewhat tight, although I in theory had enough time in between to get organized (get back to the track, get balanced and find a rhythm). The problem is, I just don't seem to multitask well with jumps, so as I was heading over a second jump, I was thinking about the third jump, not the turn. We didn't go that nicely over the jump and then Tony cut the corner and swung his head down. He swings his head down when he doesn't like the jump much. That combined with a tight turn throws me off. It's thrown me off before, and by golly, it didn't it again.

This time I landed on my feet, which promptly buckled, so really I landed on one knee. Big bruise, but I was able to get back on. She proceeded to drill the idea into me at the walk, which is a little embarrassing, but I was mentally and physically fatigued at that point into the hour (think - legs actually shaking), so I think the result doesn't show the lesson learned.

Fall no. 5 felt like 5 steps back. On a horse I'm used to. I could think of a million excuses, but really, there's nothing to do but push forward. Naturally, the following weekend I wasn't able to ride because I came home from a work trip on red eye Saturday and ran a 10k on Sunday.

So, just to review: Fall off a horse, next day fly to San Francisco and work long hours at a conference. Come home on a red eye Saturday. Run a 10k Sunday. Then take a breather and reflect on why you fell off the horse when you should be doing work at your desk Monday morning. Learnign to ride as an adult, in a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment