Monday, November 25, 2019

My first-ever lunge line lesson

I have never before had a lesson on a lunge line, but I've always thought it would be a great opportunity to focus on my equitation, or just relax and loosen up to be more susceptible to changing how I do things.

I ended up on Colt, our newest lesson pony (who is not officially ready for the lesson program yet), on the lunge line, which still managed to be a bit thrilling. It was easier to focus on how I would ask him to trot, how I would ask him to walk (you just think walk and he does it). I also had to add turning him properly (he doesn't bend well yet) and doing something/anything/god-help-us when he would lose interest and charge at my instructor.

I made the most progress with stopping a habit of pulling too long (my half halts don't reward fast enough for him) - especially when he was charging the lunger.

I wish I could say I've conquered this pony after that lesson, but it's not even remotely true. Maybe in four lessons, or five. And maybe just alone in the ring. Being in a busy ring might take me 10 lessons. Yikes. 

1 comment: