Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Circles are hard

Drawing a circle is hard, so I don't know why I would assume riding one is easy.

The 10 meter circle is a great example of how pulling the horse's head in the direction you want to go will only get you so far.

First 25%: We're doing it! We're doing a circle!
Second 25%: We're looking a little bulged in the outside shoulder, but if I use some outside leg, we're stay on track!
Third 25%: We are definitely falling out of the circle, I think we might be going the opposite direction now.
Final 25%: Horse has had it with my pulling, will not listen to me for the next 5 minutes.

Linda talked me through the different levels of steering. First, you have a horse you can turn by light half halts of the inside rein and turning your body the direction you want to go.

Then you think about your legs, and add outside leg behidn the girth to keep the hind in, and inside leg at the girth to...I actually don't remember. Just sort of frames them up and balances I guess.

Anyways, then you do proper leg position, half halts of inside rein and the correct with half halts outside rein. This looks like over correction when I do it because I'm still learning. It looks like the horse turns his head in, then straightens it out before he bulges his shoulder too much. The more advanced version of this would look like the horse's head is straight and the body is curving. So there's no bulging at all.

I was barely getting it. But that wasn't even my biggest challenge for the lesson.
I was actually having trouble asking for the canter. I was riding Calvin, who has a very bouncy trot, and I, embarrassingly, couldn't sit the trot in an organized way to give clear aids. I will have to think on this a bit. I love how there is usually a conversation somewhere on the internet that discusses the exact issue I'm having. It makes the time between lessons a bit more productive!

No comments:

Post a Comment