Thursday, October 22, 2015

Posting without stirrup(s)

I joined the awesome 1-hour group lesson again because I had work-overload on Tuesday. It was basically bootcamp! I rode Pan, the short-stirrup superstar who does anything you ask. We had to do bicycles with our legs out of the stirrup for warm-up. Then we:
  • With feet out of stirrups, lifted knees up and kicked outwards and then left our legs dropped in a controlled motion. D says this puts our seat in the right place in the saddle
  • Put one foot in the stirrup and kept one out and posted at the trot. This is done in both directions for each side. It's not only a workout, but supposed to teach you to not rely on the stirrups for balance. The more difficult side is the one you rely on too much.
  • Posted with out stirrups, also at different beats (up two, down one)
  • Got into jumping position without stirrups at the trot
  • Collapsed in exhaustion
I had a lot of trouble with no-stirrup posting - I would scoot the stirrup-less knee up only to have it slip down. I think I just need to be exposed to it more!

I missed a trot to canter transition once, I think I wasn't sitting back properly. Other than that, trot to canter back to trot and down to walk are really coming along! But then, Pan is so push-button, don't know how much credit I can take.

I have some exciting news! One is that my old barn invited me to come to a Fun Show down there on one of the horses I used to ride! It will be sort of a production to get down there but well worth it!

And even more exciting news! I found a trainer with horses who offers very affordable partial leases that could allow me to do weekend rides! 50% of the battle was sending an email that showed I had thought the whole thing out. I mentioned how I am committed to my lesson barn (named barn and trainer for reference), but they didn't have opportunities for practice rides, and I would love to do an evaluation lesson to prove I am capable of leasing. I have an eval half-hour lesson on Saturday and will meet the horses they have available! Trying not to get my hopes up too much, but this trainer rents out stalls at a reputable barn so I'm pretty optimistic! Also, the eval lesson is, like $20 cheaper than my typical lessons, so if there is a horse that fits, I can feel confident about future affordable opportunities with this trainer!

1 comment:

  1. that lesson sounds really challenging and awesome! you'll get the feel for it.. just use your warm up time to do some no stirrup work if all your'e doing is puttering around at the trot.

    and great news! fingers crossed you get to partial lease!

    ReplyDelete