Thursday, October 1, 2015

First bareback ride evahhhh

No, I don't have a Boston accent, being from a rather waspy suburb, but I threw it on the end of this title for emphasis. I had a group lesson yesteday for my make-up and started on Chewie, but then switched to Blake. Blake is like a larger version of the young quarter pony Chance. He is wiggly, but he's also got a lot of...animation?... to his gates. He walks a mile a minute, and has the bounciest trot and canter. But he means well and would never hurt anyone.


Here's a run down of the activities:

Straightness exercise: Started this exercise at a trot. 2 groundpoles are set up to guide you straight down the midline towards D, who would at the last minute point left or right for you to continue down the longside and loop back. Not only did this work on straightness (it was obvious when Blake drifted right and I also couldn't anticipate a turn and cut a corner), but also communication in the ring, since people ended up going in different directions and approaching the turn to the midline at the same time.

Then we did the same exercise, but this time, people who were told to go left (or later, right) had to canter going into their turn. At which point I learned that Blake canters like a larger, more powerful version of Chance and will just fall in into a collapsing doom-spiral. I didn't get enough of a chance to correct myself on that one, but maybe another time I ride him.

The lesson ended with 15 minutes riding bareback, which I'd never done before. It was so awesome feeling the horse's movements under you! D gave permission to everyone except me to try trotting (she said it was because Blake is too bouncy, but I think it was partially that and partially my inexperience). Only one person attempted it, though. By the end of the walk, I kind of wanted to try, but I let the experience end there (what's the worst that could happen if I garb a little mane, right?!). Blake's pasterns and hoofs need to be kept really clean, so I was instructed after the lesson to scrub the socks until they turned pink. I love taking care of the horses, but it really empahsized how much work goes into being a groom or owner!

The other riders in this group had been riding longer, but were solid once-a-week lesson ladies, so they were kind of cool to connect with. One had been riding weekly for 9 years at this same barn and done the trip to Iceland and ridden the Icelandic ponies. Another had been riding for 4 years off and on through injuries. I asked if they did practice rides, but they said they don't. I'm sort of curious to ask if D thinks I'm ready for the occasional Saturday practice ride. I suppose it depended on what horse and how busy the ring was! I could, at least, let her know that it's a goal of mine.


2 comments:

  1. that's fantastic! barebare is an incredible way to really get a feel for the horse and for the horse to feel you too. it does take a lot more balance than sitting in a saddle though... getting to go at the walk is already a good feat because you have to allow your body to move with the horse.

    having goals are great! they keep you focused.... i think you should definitely be firm about goals you have for riding so it can give you something to continue to focus on working towards :) good luck and wishing you great success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes I get a little embarassed to ask for something and look like I'm getting ahead of myself, but she will not know how driven I am if I keep my mouth shut and I will likely miss out on a lot of great opportunities!

      Delete